Sunday, May 26, 2013

Why I Cried While Watching Ironman 3


I was so tired. I wanted to go straight to bed. I did not have the energy to wash my face and remove all the make-up. I managed to take my shoes off though. But it was Mother's Day! And Ironman has been waiting. And my Ironic Man has been arranging for this date for two weeks now.

So I freshened up, still donned the new threads (Mother's Day gift from hubba-bubba), and without apology told the bigger kids their parents were catching the 10:30pm screening. Thank You, Lord that the two babies were already asleep! 'Cause if they weren't, husband and I might have to catch the last full show. I'll be a Zombie by then.


With a lot of not-worth-mentioning food in our arms, we were able to sit together (on our last attempt last May 1, there were still available seats, sure, but we can't sit together).  I was going to give a review of the movie but I don't think I will be objective here. I have been a fan of Robert Downey Jr. and I have not given much attention to details of the film, except him.



[Photo from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300854/]

I loved how the screenplay writers Drew Pearce and Shane Black (also the director) have kept the personality of Tony Stark (the lead character played by Downey) intact. Even if much transformation has taken place in his life since Ironman 1 and 2, Stark still exuded with a lot of genius, spunk, and confidence, that sometimes his being overly-enthusiastic and confident, gets humbled by a lot of fumbles–human, error-laden moments just to establish that this perfect guy is faulty too. I know that showing the dark or the weak side of the protagonist has been the trend in super hero movies. I think the approach in humanizing the superhuman is here to stay. The kids who used to marvel at Marvel heroes are now the daddies who take their own children to the movie houses. The men now have a springboard to educate (or expose) their kids about fantasy and reality, and probably introduce them to the fact that heroism doesn't have to be supernatural.

I was crying in some scenes of Ironman 3. I thought I'd be able to relax, be amused and be emotionally-detached. No, the film wasn't a tear-jerker. I was sobbing because Robert Downey reminded me so much of my brother, my older and only brother who passed on last March. Maybe it's just me but I can't help see  the resemblance.  Maybe it's the eyes, or the brows, or his mouth, or the beard and moustache.


[Left: My brother TJ Joson aka Tony Rey; Right: Robert Downey Jr. plays Tony Stark in Ironman 3; Downey's photo from http://blog.palmpartners.com/tag/robert-downey-jr/]

Never mind that my brother's name is also Tony (Rey). I just felt, as I sort of anticipated, I missed him so terribly as I viewed the film.

I remember when my Papa passed away. The first film I got to watch, with my husband and two kids (then) was Shrek 2. I did not expect it but I was ambushed by grief during the scene where the Frog King was on his death bed!

Grief attacks you anywhere. Even as you are watching a cartoon, or a movie based on a comic book. It affects your thinking, your eating, your health. It trudges on as it tramples upon your relationships, and your need to hold on to one, and let go of another, or want to gain a new one, and reject one that has absolutely nothing rejectable in it.

I can refuse monstrous grief to overtake and overwhelm me. At the same time, I cannot deny how little pockets of grief can occupy short but frequent time slots of my waking hours. I have learned to expect the strong effects of losing someone close, such that when the unpredictable sorrow captures my attention, I am no longer as enslaved to its power.

Ironman 3 is about superior intelligence and giftedness that is paired with a weakness or disability and when used without morals, and fear of God, and respect of man, can no longer be a wanted favor, but a dreaded curse. Like grief, we can use events, experiences, our talents, and abilities to do good and be good; to do better, and be better. And we don't even have to wear a suit. Or be extra smart. 

If it's any indication, I must've liked the movie so much, I tried to squeeze into the next days, never mind if I watched it in many parts, "The Avengers". I felt so terrible to have missed that!

No comments:

Post a Comment